Saturday, July 09, 2005

About Bullies . . . . . of ALL kinds

I grew up on a school playground, just like most of you did. And like most of you, I ran into my share of bullies. I hated them. I feared them. I wished over and over they would leave me alone. I was small as a child, just like I am small as an adult.

Well, one day I took matters into my own hands, so to speak. It wasn't as if I had thought this through, mind you, but it still worked, even if it was spontaneous.

I was in the third grade. One of the bullies walked up behind me and grabbed me around my chest. I suddenly bent over from the waist and KA_BOOOOOOM! He was on the ground in front of me on his back! His eyes, huge and round, were looking up at me in utter astonishment! No one, especially a pipsqueak like me had ever dared to defy him! He got up, dusted himself off, and said “Wow! You know what you are doing!” He turned around and walked off and NEVER bothered me again!

I learned something that day.

In the past I had tried every thing I could think of to get him to leave me alone. My mother told me to ignore him. That sure as hell didn’t work! If anything, he pestered me even more, missing the attention I paid to him when I actively hated him. My daddy told me to always stay in groups with other friends. That didn’t work either. He just barged in and made my friends miserable too. So then THEY started to give ME the cold shoulder. My older brother told me to turn him in to the teacher. The teacher was ineffective with him, because she had no means of punishing him for bad behavior. She was a toothless tiger. So after she talked to him, he got pissed and beat me up.

It was not until I took matters into my own hands, and met him with force, that he stopped bullying me.

And now, today, as I read and see the bullies that call themselves Jihad, and Islamic Fundamentalists, and other idiotic names, I think the same thing. They are willing to kill, maim, and have temper tantrums in front of the whole world! But they are just bullies! Mean tempered, infantile, immature asshole bullies.

And just like the bullies in my school yard, there is no way to placate them, because they intend to kill every one else in the world that does not agree with them. Other Muslims included! What kid of insanity is this?

I have a plaque on my wall. It gives Einstein’s definition of Insanity. Know what it says?

“Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results.”

Well, just how insane are we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am almost 70 years young and agree with you that the only way to defeat a bully is to hurt him. One of my sons was grabbed and beat up by a bully several years older than he was in elementary school but the bully still had a broken nose and two black eyes. My son had many black and blue marks that disappeared in three weeks while his opponent still sported his wounds. When the bully's parents went to the school and demanded that my son be suspended for beating up their son, they were shocked to see the difference in size. My son started to laugh at how he was described to the bully's parents by the bully. The bully was suspended and no one ever touched my kids again.