Thursday, November 17, 2005

Best Kept Medical Secret

L-Lysine

The human body makes its own essential amino acids (the ones it needs to function properly), except for one: L-Lysine.

We used to get our necessary L-Lysine from whole grains. Now our foods are so processed, that we get very little L-Lysine.

L-Lysine is integrally tied to the proper functioning pf our immune system. Without L-Lysine we get sick much more often, and it lasts longer when we do.

L-Lysine is super cheap! I buy Nature Made, and a bottle of 500mg pills costs about 10 dollars at Costco. It has 400 pills in it. I take 1000 mgs a day unless I have been around someone sick, or I feel like I might be coming down with something (such as a cold sore, or a cold) then I bump up to 2000 mg a day.

If you are religious about it, take it every day, you will be sick about a tenth as often, and even if you should catch a new strain, you will recover in about half the time.

No comments: